Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Crazy?!

I ran a Half Marathon for my Birthday this year!! Was it on my bucket list? NOPE. Here is the story that got me running that half!

    I have ran a few 5k races and I have gotten my 5k time down to 24 minutes as my fastest time. I felt good about that so on a Friday I thought I will shoot for 4 miles and see how I do. Well my friend that was training for this half marathon was going to go running that day as well and told me I should just run the 4 miles with her and she will continue on with the other 6 she planned to do. Well after the first 6.5 miles I was feeling really good and just kept going! I ran that 10 miles with her and she told me if I can do that then I can defiantly to a half marathon, which was in 2 weeks. I told her I would have to see how my body feels the next couple of days and I would let her know.

   Well I was sore, but not to bad so I decided to run it with her and a few others that were in the group, I mean it was only 3 more miles! ;) I didn't have much time to train but I was told that I was in good enough shape that I would be fine and to just take it easy the next couple of weeks.....so I went and got my shoes checked out to make sure they were ok, and they were so I was set!

   The day of the race (May 19th) started out early and COLD!!! We met up at Lucky Peak and we were there way to early and FROZE to death.....if I would have know I could have brought a blanket, I would have brought 10!! Anyway, by the time the race started I was so tired and tight from shivering that it took me a good 3 miles to feel warmed up and my muscles loose, but after that is was smooth sailing until I looked to my right and my running partner was no where in sight. I ran for a bit at the same pace, but then slowed down to see if she would catch up with me...I did this on and off until about mile 12 and then there she was! We ran the rest together and kept each other going. I ran it in 2 hours 11 minutes. I could have had a faster time, but running with my partner was more important at the time. Next year, maybe if I'm not pregnant, I will run it faster!!

   WOW was I sore by the time I was home! Robert was so good to me even though he thought I was crazy! I told him he was just jealous of my ability to go and run a half without training for months for it.....anyway, he drew me a bath with some Epsom salt and got me a BIG glass of chocolate milk and an ibuprofen...so thoughtful! He even let me sleep for a few hours!! Thanks for the support from everyone! It was a great accomplishment and I dedicate that run to my DAD...more on that later!!


Later I woke up to Robert playing with the kids in the back.....




No comments: